Tuesday, December 16, 2008

St. George vs Twittering Presbymergents

And blessed is the one who takes no offense at Me.
Matthew 11:6

I have been checking out the Twittering Presbymergents and all there new fangled ideas and I must say that I am wholly unimpressed. I am having a real hard time finding what it is that they are so excited about. It is strange to me because I know some really smart people who are excited or at least interested in what the Presbymergent movement might mean for the church.
My hope is that something else emerges from this emergence because we have a Presbymergency on our hands!

"You just don't get it." "You are just afraid." they twitter amongst themselves.
No, I am afraid of picking up snakes and drinking strychnine, which they do on Sand Mountain.
So I don't go to Sand Mountain because I don't have enough faith.
But their seems to me to be an overabundance of faith in this new way of being they call Presbymergent. And the limits of their preferred medium of communication become instantly clear because they can't tell if I am joking or serious, because emotion - that tricky thing that separates us from Vulcans - cannot be conveyed in a blog; we must get together.

Unfortunately, we can't get together; I would find you tedious and you would find me unbearable and it wouldn't be pleasant for either one of us. So go in peace to love and serve the Lord, pray that God is at work in my life, and take no offense in me.

No comments: